SOLD OUT – Case Study & Site Tour: Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles (United Artists Theater) & Los Angeles Theatre
***Please note that this event is sold out. Due to the limited capacity of this event, on-site registrations will not be accepted.***
Broadway Historic Theater District – Then, Now and the Future: Breathing New Life into Broadway While Honoring Its Past
End: 8:30pm @ Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles (9th and Broadway at 929 S. Broadway)
Before World War II, Broadway in Downtown Los Angeles was the most vibrant and important epicenter of the entertainment industry, containing the highest density of Vaudeville and Movie Palaces in existence. These extravagant theaters screened Hollywood’s latest films, played host to star-studded premieres and were filled nightly with thousands of moviegoers, serving as the film capital of the world.
Sadly, post-war Broadway suffered decline as a result of the mass exodus from the central city to the suburbs. Yet despite decades of disuse, many of these architectural gems remain and Broadway is reemerging as a cultural and retail hub. Bringing Back Broadway, an initiative championed by Councilmember José Huizar, is transforming the Broadway corridor through a number of economic development strategies, while paying tribute to its prolific and important past, and this work has been paying off.
This exciting case study and site tour offers participants an exclusive opportunity to immerse themselves in the transformation of Broadway and experience the following:
- Hear updates from the Executive Director of Councilmember José Huizar’s Bringing Back Broadway on current initiatives including but not limited to the Streetcar, Commercial Reuse Guidelines, and Broadway Streetscape Master Plan.
- Glimpse into the past by visiting and touring the unrestored 1931 Los Angeles Theater and learning about the theater’s history from the L.A. Conservancy and Historic Downtown Business Improvement District.
- Explore the recently redeveloped 1927 United Artists Theater and highly anticipated Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles and gain insight into the motivations and strategy for its transformation from the developer.
This event, including a cocktail reception at the Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles, is not to be missed.
- Jessica Wethington McLean, Executive Director, Bringing Back Broadway, office of Councilmember José Huizar
- Jon Blanchard, BLVD Hospitality
- Private $65 (Non-member $90)
- Gov/Nonprofit $50 (Non-member $70)
- Young Leader (under 35) $50 (Non-member $70)
- Student $45 (Non-member $60)
Please note that registration prices increase $10 after February 4. To register, click “Register Online” below or here to download a registration form.
Parking and Transit:
• Several private parking lots are available in the vicinity.
• Metro Rail access via short walk from Red and Purple lines from 7th/Metro Center or Pershing Square
• Several bus lines access the area. Go to http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php to plan your transit trip.